Bracamontes & Vlasak, P.C., is one of the few California law firms that exclusively represents tenants in its landlord-tenant practice. We do not represent landlords. Our firm partners with Bay Area tenants' rights organizations to provide diligent and effective legal advocacy to tenants whose housing is in jeopardy.
Upholding Tenants' Rights In The Bay Area
The experienced lawyers of BV Law are familiar with the state laws and city ordinances protecting renters, and available relief through the Rent Board or the courts against unjustified eviction or rent hikes. Our San Francisco landlord-tenant law attorneys are also knowledgeable about civil remedies for tenants who have suffered injury or economic harm from the actions or negligence of landlords.
BV Law advocates for residents of apartment complexes and condominiums in San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, and other East Bay and Northern California communities.
Just Cause Eviction And Rent Ordinances
The San Francisco Residential Rent Stabilization and Arbitration Ordinance (Rent Ordinance) applies to rental units constructed before June 13, 1979. The Rent Ordinance provides rent control to tenants and secures tenant's rights by requiring just cause for eviction. Pursuant to section 37.9 of the ordinance, a tenant may only be evicted for one of the following enumerated reasons:
- Nonpayment of rent
- Lease violations, nuisance or illegal activities
- Refusal to renew lease
- Refusal of access after notice
- Unapproved subtenants holding over
- Owner move-ins
- Condo conversion or demolition by permit
- Capital improvements or substantial rehabilitation
- Remediation or abatement work
- Withdrawal of all units from the rental market
- Permanent removal from housing use by development agreement with the City
Rent ordinance in other Bay Area cities have similar "just cause" requirements. If you have lived in a residential hotel or SRO (single resident occupancy) in San Francisco for 32 continuous days, you likewise have tenant status under the San Francisco Rent Ordinance, including rent control and the just cause eviction requirement.
"Just cause" grounds for recovery of possession by the landlord can be complicated in practice. You should consult the San Francisco landlord-tenant attorneys at BV Law if you believe you are being unjustly evicted.
Conflicts Between Landlords And Tenants
Our legal team can assert tenants' rights in eviction defense and all landlord-tenant conflicts and claims, including:
- San Francisco Rent Ordinance
- Berkeley Rent Ordinance
- Oakland just cause eviction and Oakland rent control
- Hayward Rent Ordinance and evictions
- Owner move-in eviction
- Foreclosure eviction
- Constructive eviction
- Three-day notice
- Wrongful eviction litigation
- Tenant buyouts
- Relocation expenses
- Rent differential damages
- Warranty of habitability (unlivable conditions)
- Multi-tenant litigation (infestations, basic utilities, toxic exposure, etc.)
- Tenant injuries
- Tenant property damage
- Inadequate security in apartment complexes
- Faulty fire suppression
- Tenant harassment
- Landlord unlawful self-help tactics
Committed To The Rights Of Individuals And Families
It can seem like landlords hold all the power. At BV Law, we help you exercise your specific rights and remedies to protect your home or hold your landlord accountable for what you have suffered or lost.
See our client testimonials and case results for examples of our outstanding representation in the area of landlord-tenant law. Please call 800-392-1427 or contact us online for a free consultation with our Bay Area tenant lawyers.