Michael R. Bracamontes
Mr. Bracamontes focuses his practice on helping individuals in landlord-tenant, employment, and personal injury matters. Specifically, Mr. Bracamontes has successfully handled cases where tenants sue their landlord for unsafe or unsanitary living conditions, mold, lack of heat, and water intrusion. Mr. Bracamontes has also helped dozens of tenants negotiate buy-out offers in excess of the statutory minimums required by local rent ordinances, as well as defended tenants from wrongful eviction.
Many of Mr. Bracamontes’ current cases focus on representing multiple tenants in the same building that have experienced harassment or retaliation from their landlord and been subject to unsafe or unsanitary living conditions.
With respect to employment cases, Mr. Bracamontes has successfully represented employees that have been unfairly discriminated against due to race, ethnicity, pregnancy, and gender. Mr. Bracamontes has also successfully handled sexual harassment matters.
As to personal injury matters, Mr. Bracamontes has dealt with a wide range of injuries from carbon monoxide poisoning, car accidents, botched surgeries, and police brutality.
Mr. Bracamontes has achieved significant six and seven figure results in employment and personal injury cases for plaintiffs.
Mr. Bracamontes earned his Juris Doctor degree from Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California, Berkeley), where he volunteered at the Worker's Rights Clinic and was a member of the La Raza Law Journal and Treasurer of the Native American Law Students Association.
Areas of Practice
- Tenant Rights - Eviction Defense
- Habitability - Wrongful Eviction
- Employee Rights - Wrongful Termination
- Hostile Work Environment
- Consumer Law - Lemon Law
- Unfair Business Practices
- Business Litigation
- Civil Rights
- Personal Injury
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- California, 2006
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2006
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2006
- University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, California
- J.D. - 2005
- Law Journal: La Raza Law Journal, Member
- University of California, Irvine, California
- B.A. - 2001
- "Understanding the Foreclosure Trend on the West Coast", Thomas Reuters/Aspatore, 2009
- California Rural Legal Assistance Fair Housing Training – Wrongful Police Evictions, Code Enforcement & Civil Rights - July 2015
- California Rural Legal Assistance Annual Housing Seminar - Affirmative Habitability, Code Enforcement, and Discrimination - July 2014
- Workshop for SF Tenants and Landlords - Sponsored by SF Supervisor Katy Tang - January 2014
- Landlord Tenant Law Overview - City College, San Francisco - January 2014
- Tenants - Rights - Twitter, Inc., San Francisco - September, 2013
- Tenants - Rights - Advent, Inc., San Francisco - 2013
Honors and Awards
- 2010 Attorney of the Year, ALRP
- Member, Top 40 Under 40, National Trial Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- San Francisco Bar Association, Member
- AIDS Legal Referral Panel, San Francisco, Panel Attorney
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Alameda County Bar Association, Member
- National Police Accountability Project, Member, 2009