On the evening of Jan. 28, a three-story, mixed-use building on the corner of Mission and 22nd streets caught fire. It was a three-alarm blaze that wasn’t contained until after midnight and continued to smolder. One person died in the fire and at least six more were injured by smoke inhalation. At least 60 residents of the building and at least 15 businesses were displaced.
According to at least one report, it was a truly horrific scene. The tenants apparently had no real warning because the alarm system may have been faulty. It now appears that some smoke detectors were either missing or non-functional. For some tenants, the first clue there was a fire was the arrival of the fire engines — or the screams of their neighbors. Others found out by being confronted by the smoky blaze face-to-face.
Even more troubling, some tenants reported fire exits being blocked. At least seven people and a dog were trapped on fire escapes and five more were unable to find a way out of the 108-year-old building.
Displaced business and residential tenants should contact us for a free consultation
Bracamontes & Vlasak, P.C. is representing several small business owners regarding the devastating Mission Street Fire of January 28, 2015. Investigation and discovery is ongoing. Commercial and residential tenants are still displaced. If you have information about the Mission Street Fire or would like a free consultation, please contact us.